Debates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MadManWithABox
MadManWithABox

Pact of the Claw Rework Empty Pact of the Claw Rework

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:02 am
Rework of my pact boon, now more based off of spells and spell casting

https://docs.google.com/document/d/113B8gSodR7cd7f6qkbqDBsF_cj5KTaa-tZiuSm_USmg/edit
Reaper

Pact of the Claw Rework Empty Re: Pact of the Claw Rework

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:16 pm
The one thing that I take an issue with: Making a 15 damage, guaranteed shot, multiplied by eldritch blast beams, is kinda ridiculous. Esp on a low level.
The damage to yourself is a good way of flavoring it, however, maybe make it start at 1d8, maybe scale it with level the spell, or the "level of the cantrip" (if that makes any sense), or off the number of hits (so Scorching would tick it up 3 times, not necessarily deal damage 3 times, but make it so that multihit spells won't just be OP as shit, esp with Hex multiplying the damage even further)
Actually, thinking more on the multi-hit portion, I think that'd be a cool way of making it work, since it would incentivise the use of multihit spells, like Scorching Ray and EB.

Also, limiting it to Pact Magic would be a good idea for balancing, to avoid people dipping WL for the massive multihit spells at high levels in other casting classes (Fireball would be ridiculous)
MadManWithABox
MadManWithABox

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:59 pm
Problem is you can't limit it to only pact magic because pact magic is compatible with all spell casters.
Reaper

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 pm
Well, this is also maximizing damage, which is *really* strong. And this prevents abuse via multiclassing. I.E. Sorc/Lock, with this, Quicken EB + Scorching Ray, at level 6, is 10+(Chax2)+36 damage, yes, it's 5 "to hits", but also, that's a LUDICROUS amount of damage. And would deal a total of 2d12 damage to yourself

Especially since the wording isn't specific to "Before the spell attacks are rolled"
MadManWithABox
MadManWithABox

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 am
Well upping the damage of the withdraw of overcharging could rectify it, but how much damage dice is enough?
Reaper

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:56 am
Frankly, I think that the "multihit spells increase the steps more" is a cool mechanic, and if that was implemented, i'd actually *reduce* the damage delt "per step", because it would go much higher than otherwise.

Also, I don't like the d12 size, because on your second spell, at 2nd level, that can oneshot Sanguine, from full HP-Down. If it rolls perfect, fair, but it's going to stop people from "overcharging" as you termed it for fear of just falling over.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum